NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Tap on The Window by Linwood Barclay










3.0 out of 5 stars - Lesson: Do NOT pick up a hitchhiker!

Everyone knows those moments in movies where you scream -- "Don't go in the basement!" or "Don't leave with that sketchy looking guy in the bar!" In this case, we all know it's taking a huge chance to pick up anyone on the side of the road no matter how forlorn or wet or desperate they look.

Cal Weaver knows that too. But, when the teenaged and rain-soaked Claire mentions that she knew his dead son, Scott, the game was on.
This thriller started out so great and I was totally engaged wondering where Barclay was going to take me this time. I've read all of his previous books, and he writes the "average family man on the hunt for justice" so well. I was sorry when events transpired that were predicable and reminded me of other books he's written. The suspense deteriorated and the body count rose -- though I should have expected it because it always happens in a Linwood Barclay novel.

The mystery is not that engaging after all and was a bit of a let down -- all THAT for THIS??? I was disappointed with the main characters -- none of whom were without some serious flaws and a very high level of violence. Barclay has always been one of those authors whose books I automatically put on my TBR list, but I hope his next one is fresh and original.

If you're a fan, however, you won't want to miss this one. It was entertaining and perfect for a summer read at the beach, on a plane or train, or on the back porch!
 
ARC from Amazon Vine

No comments:

Post a Comment