NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, December 12, 2014

After We Fall by Emma Kavanagh






4.0 out of 5 stars -- Is it only after you fall that you can choose to rise again? Only a moment separates "after" from "before" when events or decisions change the outcome forever.

This is a very intense novel that deals with issues surrounding four people who experience different types of loss in a cataclysmic way. A plane crash. A murder. A woman escaping her son and husband. Secrets, infidelity and lies. The narrative shifts in point of view as each story is slowly revealed showing the pain of realizing that the relationships in life are what make or break you. Can a bad decision be overcome or are you meant to suffer the rest of your life? How well do you communicate with those you love or do you feel that ignoring the problem will allow you to continue on in a sort of purgatory? Illusions -- how well do really know those you love and what will you give up for them?

I enjoyed this although it was a bit confusing initially until all the characters were introduced. I can't say that I felt a lot of empathy for some, but I was definitely sympathetic to others. The universe is uncaring and life is capricious -- choosing to keep on going is very difficult sometimes especially when the direction is not known. I have seen this described as a psychological thriller, and I found it a little depressing, but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes realistic stories about people in unhappy circumstances.

I stayed up late reading this because I had to finish before I could sleep.

Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment