NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Conqueror's Wife by Stephanie Thornton


From Edelweiss - the ARC I have been holding my breath to read!!
Wow, those were some vicious times...

3.0 out of 5 stars -- Brutal historical fiction

Alexander's reign was marked by blood -- and there are far too many deaths to recount during his saga of endless war and battle to conquer the lands that became his empire. This novel centered on the women connected to Alexander -- and there were many who were there for him during his lustful drive for power. But, he was a man, not a God, and even in death, he left behind those who wanted to secure that role of conqueror for themselves.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't really like this book that much, and I grew weary of reading the unending saga of torture and execution. I did not care for any of the women who were connected to him, not even the ones whom the author decided to cast in the role of champion. Most of the time I was aghast at the senseless deaths, the treachery and the betrayal. The narrative shifts in point of view between the main women -- Thessalonike (sister), Roxana (wife), and Drypetis (warrior). Also heard is the voice of Hephaestation -- Alexander's best friend, fellow soldier, and lover. All of them held in thrall to Alexander the Great.

I've read the authors previous books and loved them, but this is one that I should have passed up as I am left without redemption or satisfaction for all that befell the people who blindly followed the ruthless leaders. I had so looked forward to the release of this new book but am left disappointed in the outcome.

Thank you to Edelweiss and to the publilsher for the e-book ARC to review, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Way too much description of mutillation of humans and animals for my taste. Perhaps it is historically accurate, I don't know, but it was just not for me. I am glad that I forced myself to finish it -- but I note that it took me 10 days rather than a few hours to get through -- and that speaks volumes for someone who is as prolific a reader as I am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment