NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Songbird Girls (DI Tom Fabian #2) by Richard Parker

"Sisyphean sentence continues..."

It was 3 years ago that Detective Inspector Tom Fabian put a London serial killer named Christopher Wisher in prison for the murder and mutilation of nine people. So why is Christopher asking Fabian to visit him at Kerslake Prison after all this time? It seems that Wisher wants to give Fabian a diary. But once Fabian has it and reads it he finds that this is a manuscript that doesn't make any sense at all. It's a couple of seemingly random jottings. But then the bodies are found. The victims have been killed in exactly the same way as Wishers previous ones -- including the signature that wasn't publicized on the broadcast that resulted in Wisher's capture -- the dead bird beside the body. Fabian and his partner, DS Natasha Banner, of the Horseferry Police frantically try to revisit all those who visited Wisher in prison, former family, and other potential suspects to no avail. These must be copycat murders of course, but WHO has Wisher entailed with his mission? NO SPOILERS.

This was great crime drama with red herrings and misdirection as the suspense kept me glued to the pages. I had my suspicions and then, with the shifting point of view, I did get my revelations. I liked the writing and the methodical way that the detectives approached the case but THAT ENDING! I can only hope to see more of Fabian and Banner as they tackle what comes next. This is the second in the series and I did read the first one which I'd encourage a reader to do as the characterization of Fabian develops and, though he keeps us at arm's length, I hope to learn more about him and Banner.

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is book #2 in a series. Read in order for maximum enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment