NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, August 6, 2020

The Hollow Ones (Blackwood Tapes #1) by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

"Sometimes we are not the ones doing the summoning. Sometimes we are the ones being summoned."

Odessa Hardwicke is a rookie FBI agent who ends up killing her partner when they attend a crime scene. She can't forget what she saw at the moment of Walt Leppo's death: "a mist, looking like a ripple of heat mirage, rose from Leppo's twisted form" leaving behind an odor of solder. Odessa can't bring herself to tell anyone about that when she's taken off duty and put on leave. Confined to desk duty while being investigated, she's tasked with busywork and assigned to clear out the office of a retired FBI agent in New York. As she clears out Earl Solomon's meager belongings, she finds some odd things that cause her to track down the agent who's recently had a stroke and is hospitalized. Their meeting leads Odessa to an enigma, John Blackwood, who is an occult detective. Centuries old, he is on a mission to save the world from evil spirits known as the "Hollow Ones." In an epic that covers a man's quest to bridge the schism between science and magic in 1582 London, to 1962 in the Mississippi Delta, to present day New York and New Jersey, the mission is simple -- to stop the foul entities from wreaking mass destruction and havoc. NO SPOILERS

What a thrill ride from start to finish! I was a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews that suggest the book is somehow similar to another classic author's or a different popular series (that I have also read), but I disagree. I found it quite absorbing and I couldn't stop until I finished it over a couple of hours. The whole time I was reading, I could see the movie version and I can't wait to read the next installment in what looks like a new series by this talented duo. I've read other books by Del Toro and Hogan, and enjoyed them as well. I think your reaction to this will depend on several factors, including your mood and your desire to read this genre. I found it a welcome change of pace and a definitely outside of my usual fare.

Thank you to NetGalley and Grand Central Publishing for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is the first in a new series that I plan to read in order.
Genre - supernatural, occult, magic, evil spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment