NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Beneath Her Skin (Empty Coffin #1) by Gregg Olsen

 A 15-year-old girl, Katelyn Berkley, is found dead in the bathtub. Was this suicide, an accident, or murder? The identical twins who live next door, Hayley and Taylor Ryan, have some sort of ability to sense paranormal communications and receive messages indicating that there is more to this death than is believed. Soon they believe that Katelyn is communicating with them to help figure out what really happened. NO SPOILERS.

First, let me say that I had no idea that this was YA fiction and, if I had, I would not have requested it. Rarely do authors write teens authentically, and this was definitely the case here. I'm quite familiar with teenagers having spent 12 years with them at a local high school as nurse, librarian, and teacher. I've read several previous books by this author and enjoyed them, so I stuck with it even though I was ready to quit early on. I hoped that the supernatural elements would be played down and it would read more like Nancy Drew, but the actual story was all over the place with some nasty characters and the ending defied even my best ability to suspend disbelief.

I'm sorry that this was not for me and I definitely will not be reading the second in the series -- apologies to Bookouture for asking for the e-book ARC. I do thank NetGalley and Bookouture for granting access to this title but will be more careful with requests in the future.

This is the first in a series that should be read in order.

Genre = YA mystery fiction, paranormal

No comments:

Post a Comment