NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Witness by John Ryder

 The nonstop action sequences  and fast pace of the narrative aren't enough to overcome the distaste I felt for the main characters in this standalone crime thriller.

A wealthy mother hires Kyle Roche to track and protect her daughter who's been secreted away under the Witness Protection program. Apparently there is a hit team on the way to kill Savannah and mom tells him that he has less than 24 hours to locate and make her safe. Because he's a fixer and has lots of legal and illegal contacts, Kyle is able to find the girl and puts plans in motion to nullify the threat. Soon he finds, however, that there are things about Savannah that aren't making sense. His mission leads to a leak in the Witness Protection program, but more is going on here than he understands. NO SPOILERS.

I'm not sure exactly where this all started going south for me as it started out well and had a good premise. I think part of the problem was the picture of Savannah that starts to emerge and caused me to feel intense dislike. Made me question Kyle's motives in keeping her around and involving her in so many of his activities when he started to be suspicious of her. Some fixer. Between her entitled and whiny attitude while spouting her woke rhetoric and her complete disregard of Kyle's directions to ensure her safety, I just wanted to leave her behind somewhere. Since the ending is a bit of a dangle, I can only hope that things ended for her the way they should. The "fight" scenes went on forever and there's only so much inflicted damage I can handle reading about at a time so those need to be clipped.

I know this author has written a previous series that I haven't read, but I don't imagine I'll be reading a second book to feature Kyle Roche. At least there was no romance.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review. 

This is ostensibly a standalone, but I would not be surprised if it turns into a series.

Genre - crime thriller, witness protection, revenge

No comments:

Post a Comment