NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, September 5, 2021

A Slow Fire Burning by Paula Hawkins

 "...we all have our monstrous moments..."

A young man, Daniel Sutherland, is found dead on his derelict houseboat. The mystery in this slow burner of a crime thriller focuses on those who may have had a reason to kill him. Although populated by some really nasty and unlikable characters, the novel dangles the suspects with plenty of reasons to want to murder him.

Written in various points of view, there is a story from each of them. Bitter, resentful, angry, damaged, and vengeful, the narrative sometimes feels like it skipping all over the place as their motivations become more clear. Who stabbed Daniel?

I ended up liking this one well enough as it is basically saved by the conclusion but I can't say it is an exciting or engrossing read. Unreliable narrators have become a common trope, and I personally prefer a straightforward story with at least one character I can relate to. This took me longer than usual to finish and though I had really anticipated the read, I was left feeling a bit of let down.

I've read this author's two previous novels and was hoping for the thrill I experienced when I first read THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, but it didn't get to that level. Thank you to Riverhead Books for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mystery thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment