NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Autopsy (Kay Scarpetta #25) by Patricia Cornwell

 This thriller reminds me of the Kay Scarpetta I "met" back in 1990 when I was introduced to this character in "Postmortem." After reading that, I fell in love with this genre and continue with my love affair to this day.

It's difficult to review, with any fresh insights, the 25th book in a series. I've read most of them but fell out of love when the whole concept seemed to veer off the rails. There are characters that I like and others I am just done hearing about (*Lucy), so it was quite nice to see everyone behaving quite normally for a change. I enjoyed the fact that the author includes Covid pandemic references as well as the political and social unrest in the narrative.

Of course there's a murder. A woman has been killed and posed at the side of railroad tracks. It seems she has some connection to a top secret space experiment and Kay is brought into the loop as part of her appointment to the classified Doomsday Commission.

As per the typical crime thriller, the author includes the forensic details that I love as well as a mystery to solve. The only strange part about this book, however, was that it comes to a rather abrupt ending with all the big reveals coming in a short epilogue.

Regardless, though I like Kay and have mostly enjoyed this series, I am wondering if perhaps after all this time if she might be ready to retire. I enjoy the author's writing style and would love to read a new series with a fresh cast taking over Scarpetta's rein.

Thank you to NetGalley and William Morrow for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend. 

This is the 25th book in a long running series that would not work as a standalone.

Genre - crime thriller, forensics

 

No comments:

Post a Comment