Skip this one.
A feature film recreating strange events that happened in 1926 on New Avalon, a remote island on Lake Faraday in Vermont, is about to start production. The cast is gathered on the island for a weeklong immersion rehearsal complete with period costumes and no phones. Shortly after arrival, a medical emergency leaves them without communication to the mainland. Members of the cast begin disappearing one by one.
This book collapses under the weight of an absurd premise, thin characterization, and nonsensical logic. The cast of characters makes so many illogical choices solely to drag out the mystery and results in them being artificial rather than believable. I think I should have left this unfinished as I started disliking it almost immediately. I never connected with Marin Keene as the main character and I found the plot so overwhelmingly contrived as to border on ridiculous. I don't care about the author writing female POV and supposedly, according to other reviews, getting it so terribly wrong. What I did mind was how he used it to justify revenge murder. Another episode in the whole saga about how women are and will forever be victims of men.
What could have been a tight dual-timeline thriller devolved into an unconvincing sequence of cheap misdirection and a convoluted setup of motives. The twists were beyond all. It was so frustrating and I am so mad I wasted my time. I won't say it's the worst book I've ever read but it's very close.
I have to comment on the audio book that I listened to while also reading along in the e-book ARC provided by the publisher. There were three narrators, Maggie Grace, Patricia Santomasso, and Erin Lin. I had to turn it off half way through as the voices of these women made a bad story even worse. All of them had overly breathy tones and some really heavy and unnatural choppy stops and then a very rapid run that disrupted the rhythm and messed up the pacing. Their overly dramatic performances really created a sense of melodrama more than tension. I do not recommend.
This is a standalone and not part of any series.
Genre and tags: Hollywood, assault, murder, psychological trauma, multiple personalities
No comments:
Post a Comment