NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Dark Lies by Nick Hollin (Rhodes and Radley #1)

"We do know the truth about ourselves. We will always have our own secrets. And we will always seek  to uncover other people's."

A murderer known as "The Cartoonist" is on a killing spree. DI Kate Rhodes enlists the help of a former partner profiler, Nathan Radley, to help find him. Regrettably, both of them have history and terrible memories of the past. The killer knows them very well.

This could have been a brilliant suspense thriller. Unfortunately, the narrative was so disjointed and so full of distractions and distortion that the reading was frustrating and so much work. I personally don't like to have to put so much effort into reading a story -- I just want it all laid out in an organized fashion so I can follow the plot and enjoy the ride to catching the bad guys. I'm sure that the way the author wrote this was designed to increase intrigue and suspenses, but I found myself extremely irritated at the way it all developed. I don't feel that I got to know the main two characters or that they had any depth that would make me want to read about them again. I guess the main feeling I came away with was disappointment. A good premise but poorly executed. I see this is the first in a series, but I don't think I would want to continue if the writing and the style is the same. Yeah I get that Kate and Nathan are really messed up people. I probably would have identified with them more if the story had not included so much of their fractured lives with just hints dropped here and there. I failed to connect all the dots.

Again, I find that the blurb doesn't really tell you accurately what this book is about.

This book, when I read it, was titled IN THE BLOOD. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-book ARC to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment