NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, April 23, 2021

The Perfect Daghter by D.J. Palmer

 Penny Isabella Francone, 16-years-old, languishes at Edgewater State Hospital for the criminally insane while awaiting trial for the murder of her birth mother, Rachel Boyd. Believing that her adopted daughter has Dissociative Identity Disorder, Grace and her attorney, Greg Navarro, are frantically trying to get Penny acquitted by reason of insanity. They are fortunate in that a new psychiatrist at the facility, Dr. Mitchell McHugh, has willing to examine and treat Penny in hopes of finding information that will prove that Penny dd not commit the heinous crime. NO SPOILERS.

I see that I am in the minority with my rating of this novel. I had so many issues with the whole premise from the outset -- the most difficult hurdle being the fact that DID is such a rare condition and is so often misrepresented in literature and film. Though it is true that females are more likely to have the condition, I just didn't buy into the whole story as I should have. I couldn't stand Grace and honestly do not believe that she could possibly have been as involved in the whole situation as she was considering the crime and the incarceration. The book was far too long and extremely repetitive with way too much inane detail that didn't add a thing to the narrative. I guess all I can say is that it didn't work for me and I didn't enjoy it. Sorry! And that ending -- oh come on. I like a good twist now and then, but this came out of nowhere and it was totally unbelievable considering all that had gone on.

I do appreciate and thank NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - crime/psychological thriller, mental illness

No comments:

Post a Comment