NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Kill by Jane Casey (#5)


3.8 stars

This is the 3rd book featuring DC Maeve Kerrigan that I have read though it is actually the 5th in the series. As always, I think one enjoys a series more if it is read, in order, from the beginning. The author does a good job giving enough backstory to keep a less faithful reader in the loop, however, and I didn't feel completely lost.

Maeve and her boyfriend, Rob, are enjoying an evening wedding in Somerset with the rest of her team when she is sent back to London with DI Josh Derwent -- there's been a murder -- a police officer has been shot dead inside a car in Richmond Park. But that's just the beginning. Even as the manhunt and investigation ramp up, more cops are killed. Are these killings connected? The case is complicated from the beginning and the narrative is solid police procedural.

The only jarring note is the constant emotional barrage from spending time inside Maeve's head with her relationship issues, her ambivalence toward Josh, her reactions to being a female in the police, and her self-esteem concerns. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don't like Derwent and I definitely don't want Maeve to end up with him romantically. For all her rushing heedlessly alone into dangerous situations, she really comes off at times as immature and wishy washy.

Also, I'm American and I noticed the anti-gun sentiment. I can't for the life of me understand how police in the UK do not carry weapons on the streets or in their patrol vehicles. It seems like, since the criminals might have guns, that tasers, handcuffs, or batons aren't quite enough in confrontations and when going door to door -- there are some real crazies out there!

Despite all, I do enjoy this series and will look for the next book by this author. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment