NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Beautiful Losers by Eve Seymour

3.0 out of 5 stars -- Mildly entertaining mystery (quasi thriller) about a disfigured psychologist who tries to turn the tables and attempt to identify her alleged stalker. The problem is that Kim's reactions and behavior are so implausible -- and I'll go ahead and say stupid -- that it's no wonder that the police, her coworkers, boss and friends have a hard time believing her.

I kept reading only to see if I was able to pick out the true culprit despite the red herrings and diversions in the convoluted plot. I did. There was no real suspense and I could not relate to any of the characters -- all stereotypical and one-dimensional (sometimes hard to keep straight). There was lilttle suspense and the tension, menace, and urgency typical of this type of novel were absent. I would say that Kim needs to heed that oft repeated maxim -- "heal thyself."

So, a quick read without much substance, certainly the topic of eating disorders was barely touched upon despite the title. I can't see this being the start of a successful series as Kim Slade is just too much of a hot mess.

Thank you to NetGalley and Midnight Ink for the e-book ARC to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment