NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Killer Inside (DS Jessica Daniel #1) by Kerry Wilkinson

A "locked room" (house) mystery with DS Jessica Daniel and her team trying to find the killer of four -- the victims don't seem to have anything in common and Jessica is stymied and frustrated by the lack of clues or motive. This is a fast-paced police procedural set in Manchester, England, and is not too gory or grisly.

I love finding a new series! And my favorite ones are those featuring female lead detectives who are investigating interesting murder cases. Jessica Daniel is a great character with a lot of potential for growth and dimension as she matures and grows more confident in her abilities on the job. She is a little reckless, outspoken, and driven -- but she, thank heavens, doesn't seem to be a psychological mess like many other women in other novels in this niche genre. She seems somewhat normal! I was especially glad that she did not fall immediately into a hot romance, but I can see one coming. I don't read this type of book for the romance so I would be happy if that stays a very small part of the development of her character as the series continues. I have the next 3 books queued up ready to read -- and that is my favorite way to read a series -- all in a row. I have already started #2.

Kindle book purchased with promotion credits from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment