NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye

I have decided to restart my blog with one of my favorite books this month. I love this series and the setting, characters and writing. I know the series was taken over by a new author after the death of Larsson. I'm not such a purist that I can't enjoy the continuation of a character who both fascinates and scares me.


4.0 out of 5 stars "What can be forgiven, and what can not?"October 28, 2017


This fifth book in the Millennium series (continued from #3 by Langercrantz) is, at heart, a revenge story. I loved it! Haters gonna hate and that's too bad that people are still carrying on about whether or not this is holding up the standard set by the original author, Stieg Larsson -- but I think it does.

Here's why: Lisbeth Salander is quite honestly one of the most amazing female characters to ever hit the page. She's such an enigma that we can't help but want to probe her depths and find out what makes her who she is. Bitter and fierce, if she's on YOUR side, you have a formidable ally. She's not perfect as a human being by any standard, but she does have her own brand of morals and ethics. Suffice to say that if you get on her bad side, you're going to regret it. The backstory of her life has been revealed slowly through these five books in the series and there's more to learn in this one. The subject of twins raised apart is central to the plot line and provides a fascinating glimpse into psychology gone wrong as far as the nature vs nuture debate.

The story is quite complex with many interesting characters and multiple diversions into issues that are making headlines and discussed daily on social media. Set in Sweden, it seems that current events affect all humans much the same. As always, the narrative moves forward as it discloses more about Lisbeth Salander and also deals with financial markets, Islamophobia, honor killings, twins and murder. Although the book opens with Lisbeth in prison (see book #4), it moves on rapidly into other areas with shifts in point of view and the various parallel story lines. The author handles all these elements deftly and I love the way he integrates the locale and other details.

So, what are you waiting for -- don't hesitate to grab this one. It screams "movie adaptation" as well as just being a great read. I could barely stand to put it down so read it over the course of a day. Now all I have to do is wait patiently for #6. Who knows what Lisbeth Salander and the other much-loved characters will get up to next!
Please let me know what you think about this review and the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment