NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks

"I wonder now if my memory is playing tricks on me. If it is giving me the gift of an illusion. We all layer them over our rembrances; the filters through which we want to see our lives,"

Assumptions. We all make them about ourselves, about others. We think we know the story of other peoples' lives -- their marriages, their children. We don't know a thing. Inside every home lies a story that sometimes cannot be told. A hidden truth, a secret, an embarassment, a shame. The reality is simple -- we know nothing and often we cannot believe what we are told as it goes against what we believe about others who actually live behind closed doors.

This book is great domestic drama. A scorned wife, Vanessa, telling a tale of her marriage to Richard and her feelings as she is about be replaced with a new wife, Emma. Her story is familiair -- a rich man tiring of his life looking for new love, his resultant affair and a hasty divorce. Vanessa seems a bit unstable, but is she telling the truth about her relationship with Richard? And will Emma listen?

Told in alternating points of view, this is a compelling story of marriage and betrayal. Lies and secrets can destroy any relationship but "there was Richard's truth. There was my truth. And there was the actual truth, which is always the most elusive to recognize." Great characters and a fast paced writing style made this a read in one sitting book for me. I really enjoyed it.

"I'm not afrraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship."

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-book ARC to read and review.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment