NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Art of Fear by Pamela Crane (#1 The Little Things That Kill)

"If you go poking around in shadows, you'll find darkness."

Ari was ten years old when she was held responsible for her little sister's death. Tina (Sophia) was sold into sex slavery by her parents when she was 6. These two young women meet at a suicide support group, bond, and start looking for answers to explain their miserable lives. Although complete amateurs at the investigation business, they somehow find out more than expected and track down the different parties as it seems that there is a connection between events that happened over fourteen years ago.

Despite the need to completely suspend my disbelief in the action and plot, and never mind that the characters were flat and stereotypical, I moved through this rapidly. I really didn't like any of the characters in the book and the coincidences were often just too extreme. Ari and Tina are supposed to be two tough chicks who'd survived really hard times (and yeah, I am sure the sex slavery was total horror and sometimes I can't even stand to think about it much less read about it), but I just couldn't buy into Ari's personality. The romance that blossomed with Tristan was...well, most know how I feel about romance in these thrillers...but how convenient that his job proves so HELPFUL to Ari right?
No spoilers, but the ending shows that Ari is moving forward into a new direction -- no longer a retail sales clerk after her stellar investigating techniques -- finding out stuff that defied all the efforts of previous law enforcement types.

Although this was OK, I don't know that I'd invest the time in another of this series. I didn't like the interaction between the characters, the dialogue or the need to be so incredulous at outcomes.

Thank you to NetGalley and Tabella House for the e-book ARC to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment