NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, June 15, 2018

Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

"We humans are amazing in our capacity for adaptation, aren't we?"

Erin and Mark Roberts are on their magical honeymoon in Bora, Bora when they find something in the water. This 'something' will rock their world and totally turn their lives in a new direction. NO SPOILERS, you'll just have to find out what it was and what Erin and Mark do. I'm sure you have some idea...

Actually, this was a fun, suspenseful thriller and I had a hard time putting it down as I raced through the pages to find out what happened next. Although I didn't  really care for Erin (her point of view drives the narrative), and though I know that I'd definitely not make any of the same choices that she made, it certainly made for an action-packed plot. I really wasn't quite sure how it would all end up despite my many attempts at guessing. Given how the novel starts, I thought I had some idea of where it was all going. Maybe I did, and maybe I fell for some clever plot twists.

This is one that you won't want to miss this summer. The only false note was that I didn't really get very invested in the side story of Erin's documentary though I see now how it was essential to some of the story, albeit a bit far-fetched. Despite those moments of suspended disbelief, I just went with the flow and enjoyed the theme (despite it being quite common).

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for this e-book ARC to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment