NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, July 27, 2018

Slowly We Die by Emelie Schepp (Jana Berzelius #3)

Nordic Noir at its best!

Excuse me while I take a moment. Reverence! This book was absolutely fantastic and I can't believe I came in on the third in such a series having never heard of this author before (I don't know who to blame for that.) This is simply a great thriller. It has themes of loss, murder, revenge, redemption, and loyalty. It's part mystery, part police procedural, and partly just a darn great story. However, it is NOT a medical thriller (that is very misleading in the blurbs) by my reckoning. But, I'm going to let it go as I loved it anyway. 

This suspenseful novel is set in Norrkoping, Sweden. There are so many characters in this novel that it would be impossible, without spoilers, to give a run down of who is who and how they were involved in the plot. The main character is, obviously, meant to be Prosecutor Jana Berzelius (and whoa what a backstory she has) followed by the police team -- there's Gunnar, Mia, Henrik, Anneli, and technician Ola. Then there are the secondary characters about whom the action revolves -- paramedics Philip and Sandra. Then the victims -- murdered in their homes in most gruesome style. At first it's a little hard to keep them all straight. There's also a mystery man with whom Jana has a history -- and it's not the romantic kind. But I won't say more so that you can work it all out for yourself and enjoy it as much as I did. The writing and characterization are top-notch and, even if you guess ahead at what might be going on as I did, you will still enjoy the ride!

What are you waiting for -- get this on your TBR as soon as you can. Best would be if you read #1 and #2 first, I'm sure, though I didn't have that luxury. I can only imagine, given the little dangling morsel at the end, that there is going to be a fourth and I've already got it on my MUST READ list.

Thank you to NetGalley and MIRA Books/Harlequin Enterprises for this e-book ARC to read and review. Don't forget me when I come begging for more Jana Berzelius.

No comments:

Post a Comment