NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough

Sometimes a best friend isn't really good for you...

Two pre-adolescent girls from opposite sides of the track trying to find some care, love and affection in their lives. Drawn to each other, but bringing out the worst -- how far will they take things in order to be free from their suffocating and miserable existence? Charlotte and Katie want to be on the run like BONNIE and CLYDE. They make promises to each other, but one of them breaks their pact. And now, the past comes back with a vengeance. NO SPOILERS.

This domestic psychological drama flips back and forth in time and is told from the viewpoints of all the main players. It can be a bit confusing keeping it all straight so this is a book that is probably best read over a short period of time. The narration is not reliable and there are so many secrets and tidbits of important information kept from the reader until the last couple of chapters. There was no surprise or twist in this for me, I already knew from pretty much the beginning where this was going. So, I guess I can say now that I was fairly disappointed in this novel because it certainly didn't grab me or hold me in thrall with any suspense like BEHIND HER EYES did. I didn't really connect with any of the characters and I didn't find most of the narrative believable so it didn't create any tension for me.

A certain kind of reader will probably gobble this up and enjoy it tremendously. Unfortunately, that particular type of reader is not me. It took me far too long to get through this and I found it dragging at several points. I didn't really care that much about the characters and expected the resolution to be pretty much exactly what it was. I still hold on to the fact that I really loved her first book, so I will give Sarah Pinborough another go with her next outing, but this one left me feeling let down as I had such high expectations.

Thank you to Harper Collins Publishers for the e-book ARC to read and review courtesy of Edelweiss.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

No comments:

Post a Comment