NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, August 10, 2018

The Day I Lost You by Alex Sinclair

Erika is taking her 4-year-old daughter to her estranged husband's top floor apartment on the 14th floor of an upscale building when they get trapped inside a stuck elevator. When it moves a little and the doors open slightly at mid floor, little Alice squeezes through the small opening onto the 7th floor. Erika, already anxious, can't get through and the doors close again taking her down to the lobby. Frantic, she asks the young man at the reception desk, Henry, to help her find Alice. She enlists the help of another resident, Alan, to come with her when Henry seems loathe to take any action. When they get back up to the 7th floor, Alice is nowhere to be found. A door-to-door search is fruitless. What could have happened and where is Alice? And does Alice's disappearance have something to do with Erika's ex, Michael, or has someone in this building kidnapped her? NO SPOILERS.

I read this short book in a little over an hour. Not because it was so compelling, but because I was having such a hard time making sense of the story given how I found it all so utterly unbelievable. That's how I knew something was really off. Yes, it would be entirely normal for a mother to be hysterical if she had lost her child but Erika seemed bat-crap crazy and her madcap actions had me shaking my head. I just had to get to the end of this so that I could find out if my instincts were correct. Yes. There was a twist at the end and it sort of explained some of the day's events as Erika, Alan and several others race up and down and around the building. Definitely different sort of missing child book to what I expected.

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment