NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, February 8, 2019

The Couple by Sarah Mitchell

To borrow the lyrics from a song...this whole book was really a "bad romance."

Claire works for the Home Office Immigration Service, not technically a lawyer, but she helps with appeals of decisions made regarding the status of a petition of residency. She's overburdened with the desperation of the petitioners and the work, but things are looking up for her now that she's met and become engaged to Angus. Yes, they've only known each other about 4 months, but Claire is quite pleased at the uptick in her living situation and future domestic arrangements in a beautiful new home that they got at a great price. When Claire meets the previous homeowner, Mark, she's struck immediately by how much he reminds her of an old boyfriend, Daniel. Perhaps that's why she soon finds herself in a huge mess...NO SPOILERS.

My first thought after finally finishing this book is -- what the heck did I just read? And not in a good way. I found it confusing and totally, absolutely, almost unbearablely, unbelievable. In addition, the main character, Claire, is one of the most unlikeable people you're likely to encounter in fiction as she has no redeeming qualities. I couldn't relate to her and mostly wanted to slap her for being so stupid and horrible. The two men, Angus and Mark, were also hideous but we only see them through Claire's unreliable eyes and other characters are very incompletely fleshed out so are one-dimensional and only peripheral to Claire. I had to force myself through to the end and the conclusion was so unsatisfying that I wanted to throw the book against the wall.

It seems that the author does have some writing talent with some great descriptions and turn of phrase, but the story line and plot here was so off because of its need for me to completely suspend any sense of reality that anyone would do any of the stuff that Claire does. So, no, I didn't care for this one. It's not smart or clever or twisty or tricky in my opinion. Just glad I actually finished (it's a rule I have for myself) and now I'm done and moving on.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre - psychological drama

No comments:

Post a Comment