NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, February 18, 2019

Where Angels Fear (Kane and Alton #5) by DK Hood

It's almost Christmas and the low temperatures and snow have hit Black Rock Falls, MT, with a vengeance. College kids are returning home for the holidays. In fact, Sky Paul and her roommate, Ella Tate, are on their way to Sky's house for a family celebration. But, their happy plans are shattered when Sky stops to help a stranded motorist on the side of the highway. Bad idea. Ella spends the night sheltering high up in a pine tree to escape the man wielding the ax and soon Detectives Kane and Alton are investigating the case. Soon other young people go missing apparently from that same stretch of lonely dark road and Kane and Alton realize that these abductions are part of a larger and more complex crime. NO SPOILERS.

This is the 5th in series and I can't imagine not having read the previous 4 -- I don't feel that you could read as a standalone as there were a lot of changes due to events that happened in the other books. I felt that this one was almost a complete step backwards in the relationship situation between Kane and Alton and I really wasn't all that thrilled with dredging back up their past as previous government agents, etc. I don't care if they have a romance or not, in fact I wish they wouldn't, but it's such a cliche in this type of novel that I grin and bear it. Definitely the reader will find the setting and atmosphere of Montana in the winter well-described.

I found a few little oddities in the actual writing of this novel that is set in USA. Some of the vocabulary and phrases used were more British than American and that was a bit jarring. There were tons of characters and the author dangles red herrings freely and it seemed that not much mention was made of poor Sky after all and the whole reaction of her family to the situation. Also don't think even the most stupid college-aged person would do what Doug and Ella did. I thought there were some loose ends that never got tidied up.

So, this was a little disappointing as I have previously really enjoyed the series and I can't put my finger on exactly what felt off. This didn't have as much suspense or thrills as I'd hoped so I hope it will be back on track with the next one.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the 5th in the series and I definitely recommend you read from start, in order.
Genre - detective stories, kidnapping, murder

No comments:

Post a Comment