NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, March 14, 2019

A Body in the Lakes (DC Beth Young #2) by Graham Smith

Four women found in similar circumstances -- naked, raped and dead. "The victims were old, young, tall, short, fat and thin. They were from different backgrounds, and while they were all working class. [sic] The only thing they had in common was their fate."

DC Beth Young and the team from the Force Major Investigation Team (or FMIT) are looking into the deaths caused by a serial rapist/murderer known as the "Lakeland Ripper." Although Beth is the youngest recruit, she's determined to use her "sideways-thinking brain" to solve the puzzle. Along with her boss, DI Zoe O'Dowd and team members DS Thompson and and DC Paul Unthank, they investigate this very complicated case. The last victim is found with items incriminating the local mayor, Derek Forster, a powerful and rich man who just might be the predator they're after. Alas, it also might be a case of someone putting him in the frame. Can Beth solve this one? NO SPOILERS.

The setting is the idyllic region around Lake Ullswater in the Cumbria area. I'm not familiar with the locale and if you're not, don't worry as the author describes it and the surrounding area in great detail. It's hot and the overworked detectives get warmer as the pressure to solve the case and find a suspect mounts. There are some things that are brought over from the first book in the series, but enough is explained that this one could be read as a standalone if you've missed it. Now that I'm seeing more of Beth Young in action, I'm not quite sure what to make of her character. There was quite a bit of repetition as Beth seems to keep focusing on the same tedious issues in her head but there are the usual chase and save scenes to provide some real action.

But here's the main problem. The book is basically a treatise on rape with a main female character but the author is a man. Now, I'm not saying that men don't really "get" the mindset of women on this subject, but yeah. All the right words and feelings and disgust for those who commit the crime are there, but some of the things that Beth says and does don't ring true to me. I may be off the mark with those comments, but it's such a hot button topic right now with the #metoo movement, I just felt that a lot of it was speechifying. Beth is just too-too gung-ho to be real, like overly zealous, and I can't figure out if I like her nor can I relate to her. I'm also sort of tired of her scar and what exactly does she plan to do when she finds the guy who she blames for it? Maybe English law is different and I just don't understand it.

That said, I did enjoy parts of the book but I didn't feel that there was a lot of suspense and certainly the twist was seen coming even though it took a long time to get there. I guess I've just read so many books in the genre that it takes a lot to surprise me as I solve the case along with the detectives. I will probably read the next in this series and hope that Beth calms down, matures a bit, controls her impetuous nature and reins in her temper.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the second book in the series featuring DC Beth Young. I suggest they be read in order.
Genre- police procedural, detective novel, series

No comments:

Post a Comment