NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Winter in Paradise (Paradise #1) by Elin Hilderbrand

I don't know if I loved this book so much because it was set in St. John and I was reading it immediately after returning from a weeklong vacation in paradise, or if I just got sucked into the great storytelling by this very skilled author! In brief -- I'm devastated to have to wait for the next book not due out until October 2019 because I can't stand not knowing what happens next!

We all know that secrets turn into lies and that lies are very bad for relationships. What would you do if you were at home on New Year's Day in Iowa and you got a call that your husband had been killed in a helicopter crash in the Virgin Islands? OK, your husband does travel a lot for work, but he never said anything about St. John or the Caribbean islands so what is going on here? It turns out that your husband is a faithless cheat and a liar. He's been living a double life that you had no clue about. So, you pack your things, call your two grown sons and you all head down there to find out what you can. That's the premise of this excellent story about love and all its terrible complications.

Irene is nearly 60 and sons Baker and Cash are grown and on their own. She's stunned by the revelations that await in the beautiful islands and little does she know that her entire life is going to be changed as everything she knows is called into question. It's hard not to love St. John and the people they meet on their quest to find out exactly what Russ was doing down there and how he died. NO SPOILERS.

I really enjoyed this and it was so fun to be reading a book set in a locale that I actually was familiar with and had loved visiting. The beaches, the restaurants and the bars -- all great reminders of a fabulous trip and, indeed, St. John is a paradise and I can't wait to go back. I also can't wait for the next in this trilogy -- oh yes, I've already said that, so write faster Elin! My cousin got to meet you when she attended your book signing just last week and I'm so terribly jealous! My fellow travel companions are all reading this book now as well and we plan to have a little book club lunch together when everyone has finished.

Anyway, I somehow missed this one on NetGalley but that won't happen with WHAT HAPPENS IN PARADISE. Enjoy!!!

This is the first in a trilogy so read in order.
Genre - women's fiction, family drama, secrets and lies, St. John

No comments:

Post a Comment