NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Saving Meghan by D.J. (Daniel) Palmer

I was "all in" with this fast-paced story until the 70% mark. That's when it all fell apart and the complete and utter nonsense that turned into an unbelievable climax and ending occurred.
"NO WAY!" I screamed as everything I believed and felt was twisted into this bizarre and unrealistic conclusion with over-the-top motives and explanations that defy any kind of relationship to medicine or psychiatry. Nothing like what happened within these pages could or would happen in real life. So this is way beyond fantasy fiction.

I've been a nurse for over 40 years, have lots of experience with kids and psych issues and yes, with Manchausen's with and without the "proxy". This whole scenario was ridiculous and I really did not like this book. All the characters are horrible, the mother is a whack job, and though I can usually put that severe dislike aside for a good story, it sure didn't work here because of how it all played out. I can't get past it, over it, nor can I suggest that anyone with a functioning brain actually read it.
Should I tell you how I really feel? If I didn't want to avoid giving spoilers, I'd say even more.

I only finished it because I wanted to see just how far off crazy the author could make that ending.
I do thank NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for granting access to this title. I have read Daniel Palmer and Michael Palmer before -- yes, they've written good medical thrillers. But never before has one seemed so far off the mark of realism and accuracy that is essential to the science. As always, this is my honest opinion about what I've just read.

This is a standalone and not part of any series.
Genre -- family drama, meant to be medical thriller, psychological drama

No comments:

Post a Comment