NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, January 30, 2020

When You See Me by Lisa Gardner (series DD Warren #11)

Whew! I have to stop and catch my breath after reading this extremely fast-paced, action-packed, and suspenseful crime thriller. I certainly didn't intend to start and finish this in one sitting today but I just let everything else go because I could not put it down. I've read a couple other books by this author, sort of hit and miss in series, but so glad I came upon this one in my TBR. Lisa Gardner is an excellent writer and this book hits all the high points of story, characters, and menace.

Two day hikers go off trail to look for a hiking stick but instead find human bones. The remains of Lilah Abenito have been discovered in the mountains of Georgia. The victim had been missing for 15 years. A task force is formed and included characters from other Gardner novels. FBI SSA Kimberly Quincy joins Boston homicide detective Sergeant D.D. Warren. In addition, two civilians -- one is Flora Dane, a survivor of the serial killer Jacob Ness, but now a sort of vigilante; the other is her "almost" boyfriend and computer nerd, Keith Edgar -- a true crime enthusiast. As this team joins other law enforcement in Niche, Georgia, to examine the area for further evidence related to Lilah Abenito as well as to determine if Jacob Ness had used that area as part of his hunting grounds, i.e., will they find more remains? What they discover there in that little community that feeds onto the Appalachian Trail is more than they could have ever imagined. NO SPOILERS.

The narrative takes off like a rocket and the reader is immediately propelled into the chilling tale of evil and madness through the viewpoints of several of the main characters -- one is that of a mute young girl who was injured and abducted by the beast who killed her mother. I know it's a cliche to say that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, but it was definitely true here. I loved all the characters and how the case came together with everyone working their end. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for future titles by this author. Don't miss this one if you're a fan of the genre.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dutton Penguin Random House for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is part of a series, however, it combines characters from different series to create a whole new approach. I've not read all of them in any series featuring the 3 main characters and I didn't have any issues with enjoying the book though now I definitely want to seek out other titles.
Genre - suspense, crime thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment