NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, January 10, 2020

Winter Dark (#1 in series) by Alex Callister

"Men are monsters but that doesn't mean they have to be monstrous."

What a ride! Full disclosure: I had this on my TBR and passed it over many times, picking another title instead. A mistake. I'm not sure why I circled back, but am sure glad I did. I've been in a bit of a slump and this catapulted me out and away before I even finished the first chapter. It was original, refreshing and action-packed -- a thriller with an unusual female protagonist as the main character.

The author said he wanted to create a female James Bond but Winter is a complete badass that some have compared to Lisbeth Salander, but actually she's much more hardcore and somehow, even likeable despite all the things she says and does. She's a sexually omnivorous (OK there is a lot of sex in this book) top agent for the snoop police in in the UK -- the GCHQ, an organization that has the power and ability to track almost anything and everyone in the world.

Set in the near future when any life can be taken by a contract killer hired by anyone with a web connection, Winter is most disturbed by a new sensation called Slashstorm -- basically an Internet voting phenomenon which allows the public to vote on which of 12 children will be killed online right in front of them. Rumored to be run by crime boss Alek Konstantin and his brother, Roman, it is Winter's mission to hunt him down and kill him before the next episode airs. I won't say more but I assure you that once you get on this roller coaster, you won't be able to put the book down until the end of the ride!

I really liked this and am giving it 4.5 stars. This screams out for film adaptation and I cannot wait for the second in the series as I enjoyed the writing quality, the details, the action, the characters and the wild romp over Europe and beyond. The narrative is told in first person from Winter's POV in a linear style and there are surprises and twists along the way. More, please, and soon!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend. Warning -- lots of graphic violence and descriptive sex scenes so be aware before you begin.

This is the first book in a new series -- a debut. Definitely read in order!
Genre - thriller featuring agent and martial arts expert

No comments:

Post a Comment