NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A Very English Murder (Lady Eleanor Swift #1) by Verity Bright

3.5 stars rounded up.

I'm a total sucker for books set in the 1920s and I quickly fell for Lady Eleanor Swift and the rest of the quirky cast of characters living at Henley Hall. I most thoroughly enjoyed this cozy murder mystery set in Chipstone.

On the night of her arrival at the Hall she hadn't visited since age 13, Ellie is walking near the estate when she witnesses what appears to be the shooting death of a man inside a workman's hut. Concerned that it was murder, she contacts the local constabulary but is met with resistance when they investigate and no body and no evidence of any homicie can be found. A very independent adventuress, Lady Eleanor won't be dismissed and decides to begin her own inquiries with the help of her deceased uncle's butler, Clifford. Is she just a nosy newcomer or is there something nefarious going on in the little town. NO SPOILERS.

The further I read, the more I enjoyed this first installment in a new series featuring this strong female protagonist. I liked the interaction and banter between the characters and the mystery was complicated enough to present all sorts of possible outcomes. I liked the relationships between those who lived at the Hall and very much look forward to the next book in the series. The only drawback, to me (and I realize I'm going to be the exception here) is Eleanor's dog, Gladstone. I'm sure many dog lovers will disagree, but there was way too much focus on him at times and her conversations to him annoyed me. OK, that said, I am eager to see what Eleanor does next as she gets more comfortable in her new home. This was easily a one sitting read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is the first in a new series that I intend to read in order.
Genre - cozy mystery set in 1920s England

No comments:

Post a Comment