NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, June 28, 2020

The Perfect Father by John Glatt

I recently watched a series of videos on the Facebook page, Law & Crime -- the "Watts Family Murders." This book provides much of the detail not included in the docudrama but it's still true that no one will ever know what really happened that night and why this man did what he did. I do think it's apt, however, to describe Chris Watts as a monster. Family annihilation is the ultimate betrayal.

True crime fascinates me, and I've recently rediscovered my love for this genre. It was heartbreaking to read the story of how all of this unfolded while also noting that the Facebook page for Shan'ann Watts is still active and can be viewed. The background information included made me feel as if I actually knew the couple and their families and could sense that trouble was brewing. The main catalyst, however, was definitely the illicit romance between Chris and Nikki Kessinger and I don't believe that she was completely innocent of culpability -- she knew he was still married and living with his wife and daughters when they started dating. She had even searched both Chris and Shan'ann on Google long before their own relationship began. I hope she doesn't profit or gain any positive notoriety because of this. She's a liar and manipulated the situation to try to make herself look better with her actions after the fact.

The book was well-written and I read it in a single sitting as I was unable to tear myself away. It's just a tragedy all around and no one who knew them personally will ever recover -- all those lives destroyed because of the actions of two selfish people (Chris and Nikki). Yes, Chris is the one who killed Shan.ann, Bella and Celeste (and Nico), but it was because he wanted a new life with Nikki. What made him snap at that precise period in time? Maybe one day, Chris will be more forthcoming and be able to tell the whole truth after reflecting during these very long years as he lives out his life in prison. I'm glad he spared everyone the circus that would have been the trial. I hope he remembers and suffers.

Thank you to the publisher, St. Martin's Press, for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend. If you enjoy true crime, don't miss this one.

PS It bothers me greatly that the author does not use the apostrophe in writing Shan'ann's name throughout the book. It is not Shanann according to everything else I've seen and read.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series though there are other books written about this murder and Chris Watts.
Genre - true crime "The true story of Chris Watts, his all-American family, and a shocking murder."

No comments:

Post a Comment