NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Where Light Comes and Goes (#2 Dr. Abby Wilmore) by Sandra Cavallo Miller

 I happened to take a very nice trip down memory lane today. Growing up as the eldest daughter of a family practice physician (called a GP in the old days), I spent many hours in my father's office and so much about this book took me way back to those days. How I loved working there, meeting the patients, learning some skills, and performing all sorts of other duties. You just can't beat the variety of illnesses and ailments seen in such a place. As an RN now, I really enjoy novels with a medical bent and this one hit that sweet spot. Enough clinical detail to satisfy with a continuation of the story that started when I "met" Dr. Abigail (Abby) Wilmore in THE COLOR OF ROCK. Abby is a family practice physician who goes to Yellowstone National Park for a 3-month summer stint at a new clinic there that caters to tourists and the people who live or work in the area.

It was particularly fun to be able to read this second in the series immediately after finishing the first. I must say that I enjoyed this one more, probably because I just skimmed the parts that had to do with Abby's sex life and focused on the parts that interested me. I love how the author describes the beauty of the National Parks and it certainly gave me some travel lust to visit both the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. The patients and their cases were varied and the activities in the clinic demonstrated that family practice is always surprising as one never knows who, with what, will come through the doors. It was a great mix of scenery and medicine augmented by the geology, astronomy, and seismology that the author inserts to further educate and entertain.

Abby is a fun character but she certainly manages to get herself into some predicaments and she is growing on me. I really liked all the other secondary characters in the story as well as the author provides them with personality and depth. This one also had a bit of a mystery: who is killing the bison and why. In all, a very enjoyable book and I am really hoping for another in this series.

Thank you to NetGalley and University of Nevada Press for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

This is the second of two books in the series and I read them in order.

Genre - mystery, romance, medicine, female physicians, National Parks, Yellowstone

No comments:

Post a Comment