NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

By Way of Sorrow (Erin McCabe #1) by Robyn Gigl

 And, fellow readers, this is why I will always be a book addict. This legal thriller took me places that I never knew I wanted to go.

Criminal defense attorney, Erin McCabe and her law partner, Duane Swisher, are assigned an unusual case. A transgender prostitute, Sharise Barnes, has been accused of killing the son of a prominent, wealthy local man with huge political aspirations. Sharise claims self defense, but the prosecutors are intent on proving murder. The case has serious implications for Erin because she, too, is a transgender woman and she knows that this is going to be a big issue as she handles the defense. Little does she know what a hornet's nets she will provoke. NO SPOILERS.

Fact: I know nothing about transgender persons nor do I know any. This book was an eye-opener with revelations and overtones that give a completely different aspect to the basic stories in this genre. I fell in love with the character of Erin McCabe and am delighted that this is the first in a new series that will feature her. The whole legal maneuvering and the case itself is one large part of this narrative, but also the novel deals with the emotional and physical aspects of being transgender. As the two different aspects merge, the plot and forward movement of the case becomes even more compelling. I read this in a matter of hours because I could not put this down. The book forced me to examine my own personal attitudes about gender identity and the treatment of those who decide to live their lives in the manner they feel compelled to do rather than in the lines circumscribed by anatomy at birth.

This is a debut and I totally enjoyed the writing and the structure with its blend of humor and perception that makes this so much more than the run-of-the-mill legal thriller. If the idea of transgender persons makes you uncomfortable, perhaps that is the most overriding reason to read it. Keep an open mind and perhaps you will find some insight.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

This is apparently the first in a new series.

Genre - legal thriller -- transgender

No comments:

Post a Comment