NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, November 5, 2021

I Know You by Claire McGowan

Is anyone ever free from their past? In this mystery thriller, Casey/Rachel finds out that she can run but cannot escape.

Casey was in prison in the USA on death row for a family destruction -- there was one survivor, a baby boy -- but she was later exonerated and so she returned to the UK and hid in the Lake District. She changed her name to Rachel to avoid being discovered, but everything comes back to haunt her when the estranged wife of a man she was seeing is found dead in the woods close to Rachel's home. When her history is exposed, she is the main suspect and Rachel fears she will end up behind bars again, this time permanently. No spoilers.

Although this started out well and I had high hopes, it was very predictable and didn't hold my interest for the duration though I finished it quickly. The narrative is told in two time periods -- when Casey was in LA working as a nanny for the Safran family and flash forward 20 years to her time as Rachel in Cumbria. The author attempts some twists, but my suspension of disbelief was not enough. This was the first book I've read by this author and not sure I will try another. A lot of repetition and I never got to the point where I liked Casey/Rachel or felt much for her.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for this e-book ARC to read and review. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mystery thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment