NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Chestnut Man by Soren Sveistrup

 Tense and dark, this suspense thriller will give you chills!

Set in Copenhagen where a serial killer is leaving behind a grisly scene that includes an odd doll made of chestnuts and matchsticks. They are calling him the Chestnut Man. The oddest part facing the police is that there is a fingerprint on the dolls that belongs to a young girl who had gone mussing in the prior year and was presumed dead.

Detectives Thulin and Hess are tasked with the investigation of the brutally murdered at the latest crime sites and the perpetrator has left no clues behind. This complex police procedural will lead them to an old mass homicide that started it all.

I really enjoyed this and it got me out of a slump as I could not bear to put this down. I loved the writing style and the complicated inquiries that the two main characters were involved in. The plot was intricate and the revelations were dangled slowly with all finally coming together in a very satisfying conclusion. The setting helped create the noir atmosphere and I definitely would like to learn more about Thulin and Hess because not much detail about either is related. There are plenty of red herrings to keep the reader guessing and I was pleasantly surprised throughout. I would definitely like to read more books by this author! Highly recommend.

Now I'm ready to see the series on television...

This is, right now, a standalone though I could see the potential of future installments with these characters.

Genre - nordic noir, suspense, police procedural, crime thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment