NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Secrets of the Nile (Lady Emily Ashton #16) by Tasha Alexander

 An historical mystery set in parallel timelines -- 1904 and ancient Egypt circa 1500 BCE.


Lady Emily and her husband, Colin Hargreaves, are on a holiday to visit Lord Bertram Deeley and visit the ancient tombs and view the treasures of Egypt. Along with other family and friends, they join Lord Bertram at his residence in Luxor after cruising the Nile. On that very eve, after a magnificent meal at his home, Lord Bertram dies of cyanide poisoning. Which of those in attendance could have killed him and why. Everyone is a suspect.


In the alternate story line, a family of artisans tasked with decorating the Pharaoh's tomb experience personal betrayals. Some ancient sculptures belonging now to Lord Bertram prove to be a way to help Lady Emily connect the dots and solve the crime.


Although this is the 16th in a series that I have never read, I thoroughly enjoyed this. I love historical fiction and am particularly partial to ancient times and Egypt. I liked what I learned of the main character, Lady Emily, definitely a forward thinking woman of her time. Now I really want to go back and start this series with all of the previous installments read in order. I like a cozy mystery with period details and descriptions of everything from food to clothes to social mores. 


Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read, review, and recommend this book. 

This is the 16th in a series that I should have read from the beginning but this worked OK as a standalone though I definitely want more backstory.

Genre  -- historical mystery, Egypt

No comments:

Post a Comment