NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, November 4, 2022

The Prisoner by B.A. Paris

 Convoluted psychological thriller that is much too improbable to be believable.


The narrative starts from the point of view of a young woman held captive in a pitch black room. Her husband is in another area of the same house and a ransom has been sent to his wealthy father. Amelie and Ned Hawthorpe have been kidnapped. By whom and why? Sure, their marriage was unusual and recent events have brought things to a breaking point, but things are just not making any sense.

Ah, why do I get sucked in to opening books like this. It was almost painful to read because the whole premise was so implausible and the plot went from one preposterous event to another. The characters were stereotypical and predictable. I did not care for any of them and, no matter how much I was meant to like Amelie, she got on my last nerve. I actually considered marking it DNF at about 25% but I forced myself to go on. I hoped that the story would eventually come together and make sense. Disappointed to report that even after all the revelations, it just required way too much of a buy in that I was not willing to afford. Also, I do not like reading about people held in captivity and the long, drawn out details about where they are being held and the conditions and how they search for escape, etc. The rags to riches bit I also could have done without. Too much in this tale was contrived and I can't recommend it. I will be taking a pass on future work by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment