NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney

 Twisty domestic drama.


Adam and Amelia head off to Scotland when she wins a free weekend stay at a converted old chapel in an isolated area near a loch. Their marriage has hit a bit of a snag, and there are hopes that the time together will help put them back together. But nothing is as it seems.


Adam suffers from face blindness and is a workaholic screen writer who adapts books written by others though he dreams of producing his own. Amelia works at a dog rescue and tries to be understanding and supportive. Things start to get odd immediately after they arrive at the chapel. 


The narrative shifts back and forth between points of view and time -- interrupting the forward, linear flow which is sometimes annoying to me. There is another character introduced who is definitely going to change the course of the couple's weekend. The anniversary letters written by Adam's wife give a history of ups and downs in their relationship. The reveal and twist are quite dramatic. I did not like any of the characters in this story and found it all a bit unbelievable. The story is riddled with platitudes and common sayings. Lots of secrets and lies. 


I rarely listen to audiobooks and usually become very annoyed at the narrators as I did with this, especially not enjoying the voice of the female narrator. I keep trying to get into the habit of listening to a book now and then and occasionally find some really well-done versions. I don't think my opinion of this book would be any different had I read it instead. I did receive an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher but borrowed this in audio form from my local library. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - domestic thriller, psychological drama

No comments:

Post a Comment