NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Don't Let Her Go (Billie Ann Wilde #1) by Willow Rose

 I do not like to write negative reviews, but overall-- this is one of the worst books I've had the misfortune to read. I can only say that I barely held myself back from it being a DNF but only because I had to see just how much worse it could get. 


To sum it up, a preposterous kidnapping and serial killer crime thriller. The characters are beyond unbelievable and completely unlikeable. The narrative flips between characters in a before and after format and is a constant stream of melodramatic exhortations and angst with repetitive phrases and responses to every situation. Could someone please count how many times "tears streamed down" and "smirked" and "piercing blue eyes" appear in this book? The plot just got more ridiculous as it went on and just when you think it can't possibly get more unrealistic, it surely does. It is a constant tell rather than show and so drawn out making the simple situation overly long. Lots of cliches. Totally predictable. 


This is supposed to be the first in a new series featuring the character of Cocoa Beach homicide cop Billie Ann Wilde and from how she acted there is no way she could be a police detective. So unprofessional and her life is a train wreck. It's not that she's just decided to come out as a lesbian, it's her overly emotional carrying on over every single thing. In any event, I won't be reading any further installments or any other books by this author as this was the second I have tried. 


This was an audio version of the book and I can't say that the narration was well done. The accents and voices sometimes didn't change when they should have and the voice of Kitty was particularly off. And the male voices, oh my. 


I was shocked to see other reviews and decided it must just be me. Thank you, NetGalley, for the opportunity to read this author's work. I'm not recommending. 

This is the first in a new series.

Genre - mystery thriller

Sexual abuse of a minor, kidnapping, murder, serial killer

No comments:

Post a Comment