NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, October 26, 2020

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

"Some of us like the dark. It's what we know."

A haunted motel. Ghosts. Murder. Are you in the mood for a chilling thriller?

Carly Kirk heads to Upstate New York in 2017. She wants to find out what happened to her aunt, Vivian Delaney, who disappeared from Fell, New York, thirty-five years ago. Viv was working at the Sun Down Motel when she went missing, leaving all her personal belongings behind and lots of questions though the police investigation was minimal. As Carly insinuates herself into life there, even taking the same job Viv held as night clerk at the Sun Down, Carly finds that something strange is really going on there. The motel seems frozen in 1982 and Carly soon falls prey to the mysteries that consumed Viv. NO SPOILERS.

I really enjoyed this. It was so well-written that I could not put it down and I read it much more slowly than I typically do most other novels. The characters were engaging and, even though I'm not typically enamored with the supernatural in books, I found myself totally captivated by the atmosphere and the narrative. The story is told in shifts back and forth in time between present day and 1982 with the points of view of both Carly and Viv. I couldn't help but see that this book would make a fantastic film with all of the scary elements and amateur sleuthing. Simply a great story and I definitely plan to look for more titles by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - supernatural elements, mystery, thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment