A mystery thriller that might keep you guessing.
Charlotte Hoffman agrees to visit a secluded Minnesota island to stay with her childhood family friends after she’s suspended from her job. Supposedly she’s there at her mother’s behest to help the Parkers care for their 8-year old twins and enjoy her time away from work. She arrives to find a house surrounded by dense forests and an abandoned amusement park that was the site of a tragedy 18 years prior. Soon after she settles in, strange notes begin to appear and dangerous incidents escalate. It’s all leading up to a terrifying climax on a stormy night.
The set up was solid but the execution screamed trying too hard as the suspense felt forced. There was a lot of weird stuff going on from the beginning but I, unfortunately, saw the set up and twists right away which dimmed my interest. I didn’t care for the main character and her crush was annoying as were her dreams. The plot seemed overworked and cliche. One happy surprise was, however, that it went where I hoped it would at the end. It was a quick read but the constant melodramatic push kept it firmly meh for me.
The e-book ARC was provided to me by the publisher for my opinion. I was able to secure the audio book from the library so that I could listen while reading, but I did not care at all for the narrator, Victoria Villarreal, as her voice grated with her stops and starts that were intended to be dramatic. Generally the simultaneous experience enhances my enjoyment, but I had to stop listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment