NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, September 21, 2026

It's Not What You Think by Claire Mackintosh

 A thriller full of misdirection that will keep you guessing.

Nadeeka Prasanna, convinced her partner Jamie is having an affair, sneaks home early to catch him in the act. Stung by past betrayals, she speeds to her house only to walk into an active crime scene -- Jamie has been murdered. What starts as a classic domestic suspense novel rapidly spirals into something far more dangers as hidden secrets and modern societal tensions come to light.

Wow, what a surprising shift in the story line! I had to keep reading as things kept twisting. Without spoilers, it's hard to say more about the action and plot but this is definitely not what I was expecting. I really liked the two main female characters, Nadeeka, and the DCI Lauren Caldwell. Other characters are also compelling and I was hooked in the first chapter. 

Told in alternating points of view, the pace doesn't let up as the revelations drop. I certainly didn't have this one all figured out and I really enjoyed that. I  will say that I ordinarily avoid reading any books that have social commentary or virtue signaling, but I didn't get pressure or heavy handedness with the issues. The topic is relevant and definitely one that elicits mixed responses. I was expecting domestic drama and a murder mystery, but this was so much more.

I was able to listen to the audio book while also following along in the e-book ARC, both provided by the publishers. This was a full cast recording and what a pleasure it was to listen and be so fully immersed in the story. The narrators, Richard Armitage, Samuel Barnett, Tuppence Middleton, and Vineeta Rishi, were all fantastic and deftly handled their character's voices imbued with appropriate dramatic flair. I really enjoyed them and their performance enhanced my appreciation of the novel. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre and tags: (spoilers here) mystery, thriller, murder, domestic suspense.....

don't look down

 

 

domestic terrorism, immigration, far right ideology, racism, xenophobia, radicalization 

No comments:

Post a Comment