NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, October 5, 2026

Malice by Design (Jack Wyatt #2) by Gary Birken

 Medical sleuth Dr. Jack Wyatt and Dr. Madison Shaw return in this second installment of the medial thriller series.

The pair are called in to investigate a terrifying anomaly at a top pediatric oncology hospital. Children who were in remission from leukemia are suddenly developing an inexplicable, severe wasting disease that they name Leukemic Malnutrition or LM. The doctors race against time to uncover the root cause navigating hospital politics as well as discovering links to past unethical research. They ultimately find a secret that someone is willing to kill to protect. 

I had some problems with this book and ended up being disappointed. While it had a decent medical plot, the book as a whole just didn't hit right and was almost a duplicate of the first book as far as these two doctors coming in to save the day with this same obscure type diagnosis and a sinister bad actor behind it all. The characters of Jack and Madison just don't act right, I mean they are supposed to be a romantic couple, and all they ever did was run around the hospital, eat, and talk about the disease. Absolutely no tension or suspense in this story. It was actually kind of boring and slow. Also some errors where the wrong character's name was used, etc.  I have no issues with the medical jargon and descriptions, in fact, that's the only part of this that I liked was the discussion of prions. 

I don't know if I'll bother with further books in this series. The characters need some life and the stories need a new tangent. I am just not buying this super medical detective brilliance stuff. Definitely way too much ethics discussions and yeah, they are self-righteous and know they're correct about everything. 

This is the second in the series, best read in order.

Tags and Genre - medical mystery, prions, leukemia, experiments on humans, unethical research, murder 

No comments:

Post a Comment