Dark, atmospheric prequel that functions as a gripping origin story for a very unsettling serial killer.
In 1999, Anson Bishop, 15 years old, has escaped to Charleston after his childhood home burns down and his mother vanishes with stolen mob money. In a foster home sort of situation that reeks of child exploitation, he makes some friends who attempt to break free only to find that powerful forces are much more organized and stronger than anyone realized. The violence that surrounded his ruthless upbringing resurfaces and Anson, guided by his father's voice inside his head, is pushed to his limits and must rely on his highly analytical instincts to stay alive. All of his steps toward rescuing himself and the other kids are dangerous choices that push him down the dark path that will ultimately mold him into the notorious Four Monkey Killer.
I had completely forgotten what a great writer this guy is and he's returned to top form with this first in what is meant to be three stories detailing Anson Bishop's growing up years. The main character is very interesting and you can see how his detachment style gives a unique perspective on the dangerous and scary situations he and the other kids are in. There's definitely a buildup of psychological momentum without losing the gritty and disturbing elements that make this a really great thriller. It's fast paced with short chapters of alternating viewpoints and some tight suspense with sharp plot twists. Who can be trusted in a world where unhoused children are for sale to the highest bidders. Reading this made me want to go back and reread the first trilogy but I'll probably wait until I've read all three of these origin stories.
I thank NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC audio book which I listened to after also obtaining a copy of the e-book from the local library. The narrators, Michael Crouch and Piper Goodeve, were excellent in immersing me in this very dark world and I could not put this down so read it all in one sitting. Their voices created the tension and dramatic flair I appreciate for a story such as this and thoroughly enhanced my enjoyment of the book.
This will surely captivate fans of the original 4MK series and likely secure more.
This is a prequel series related to the 4MK trilogy and I believe best read in publication date order.
Genre and tags: children, exploitation, trafficking, murder, torture, corrupt cops
No comments:
Post a Comment