NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Secrets of the Cancer-Slaying Superman by Benjamin Rubenstein





I accepted this book for review from the author and found it fast-paced and full of teen appeal. As a nurse and a high school librarian, I am always looking for high-interest nonfiction. I'm eager to hear what one of my 16-year-old male students has to say about it. The book was easy for me to understand because I am a registered nurse so I am curious as to how he and other teens will react to the clinical details and medical terminology. Some have weaker stomachs for that sort of thing than others!

I think the ability to cope and the style of coping is what makes or breaks a person. The author, diagnosed at age 16 with Ewing's Sarcoma, survived cancer, not once, but twice. Through the diagnostic process, the chemo and the radiation treatments, he found his way and helped himself through the grueling years by using the vision of the cancer slaying Superman and by distancing himself from the "sick kids." Amazingly, the second cancer didn't alter his method of facing everything he went through. What a journey to survival, not to be minimized.

Teens looking for a short and poignant memoir of a personal fight against cancer will enjoy this glimpse into the world of hospitals and sickness as seen through one boy's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment