NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Die Again (#11) by Tess Gerritsen




 
3.5 out of 5 stars -- This is a good suspense thriller, however, the Rizzoli and Isles partnership is tired and old and I think the series has extended beyond my loyalty level. If I look at the novel as a standalone, I am able to take away a very unusual story of a safari years old gone terribly wrong and a complicated manhunt that spans time and continents to present day. The shifting point of view narrative that relates the ill-fated Botswana bush trek and connects to the gruesome murders in Boston gives a little bit of pause when suppressing the coincidence that yields disbelief. Despite that tenuous link, and the background and the efforts required to bring the case to a close, I most enjoyed reading about the seven people who made the trip into the delta and about what happened there.

I think Tess Gerritsen is an incredible writer whose prose and description captures the reader whether she is describing the savannah or the morgue. The details are often gruesome, but evoke that rightness that draw the reader into the tale. I have read every book she has written and wish she would return to the medical thriller genre that first caught my eye and pushed her to my "must read" list. As I said earlier, I believe she should retire this series and focus on her storytelling skills that make her an expert in her field. Fortunately, this novel has little really to do with Rizzoli and Isles and more to do with adventure in the wild.

I am sure any fan will want to read this novel, as I did, and enjoy the experience of escaping into the wilds of Africa -- but safely from the couch.

Thank you to LibraryThing First Reads for the ARC and the opportunity to review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment