NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, January 5, 2015

Only One Life by Sara Blaedel




4.0 out of 5 stars -- Another fast-paced novel by this author of Nordic crime fiction featuring Detective Louise Rick of Copenhagen Police Department and her journalist friend, Camilla Lind. This particular book focuses on the cultural issue of "honor killings" when a young, teenaged, Jordanian, Muslim girl who lives with her family in Holbraek is found murdered.

This is the 3rd novel I've read in this series, though not in order, and I'm really enjoying the characters and the setting. I'm eager to learn more about Louise and Camilla's personal lives even as they investigate the cases in standard police procedural form. Although I'm not generally surprised by the whodunit, I do enjoy the process and the way that the author ties all the red herrings and loose ends together. I feel sometimes that the slow reveal and somewhat obtuse writing style works well with this type of story. I like that the translation is complete and that I don't have to learn any Danish in order to thoroughly understand anything in the book (though I don't mind its inclusion as long as it is translated). I'm looking forward to starting #4 later on this evening but then I'll have to wait for more to be published in USA to continue on in the series.

Library book.
Read January 4, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment