NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs

3.0 out of 5 stars -- This is #17 in a very popular series featuring Dr. Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, who works out of Charlotte, North Carolina and from another office in Canada. This is only the 3rd book of Reichs's that I have read, and I think it was a mistake to miss out on the intervening books before picking this one. There was so much back story that I obviously missed which made understanding the roles of each, the relationships and the intensity of this particular case a bit more difficult.

Dr. Brennan is called in to the Cold Case Unit after two young female victims have been found that link to a decades old murder spree involving child murderer Anique Pomerleau. The catch is that this killer had eluded police for years, and had once almost tried to murder Brennan! In a complicated investigation that jumps from North Carolina to the frigid northeast and to Canada and back, Dr. Brennan, her old partner Andrew Ryan, and cop "Skinny" Slidell, try to figure out if Anique is truly active again, and why. The details of the forensics and the laborious process of following leads were extremely interesting, and part of what makes me love this type of book so much. Although I figured out what was going on long before the characters solved the mystery, it was fun to see it slowly revealed, however hard to believe the involvement of Brennan's mother! Oh well, some co-incidence and stretch of credulity did forward the narrative.

I think I need to go back and start at the beginning of the series and grow attached to Tempe in the proper manner. I must say that this is nothing like the television series, BONES, that I really enjoy because of my love of science and forensic investigation.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Bantam Dell for the e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment