NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, February 16, 2015

Those Girls by Chevy Stevens

2.0 out of 5 stars -- Three sisters escape a violent, abusive father only to end up in an even worse predicament that they barely survive. Years later, the women are still tormented and scarred by the events of that summer. One of the girls is determined to have a final reckoning, but plans go terribly awry.

This is the 5th book I've read by this author and it was very much a let-down. I didn't find it suspenseful, there's no mystery, and few thrills here. I read that it's supposed to be a novel about resilience and survival, but the decisions made by the women were so unbelievable that I lost whatever empathy I'd had for them early on. The characters were so one-dimensional (especially the bad guys) and I never got attached to any of the sisters. I was quite excited to get a copy of this book, but must say that every turn of the page brought predictable action and I was just glad when I finally finished it though I had considered not doing so -- which is quite rare for me. I was also disappointed in a previous book, THAT NIGHT, as I'm still trying to find the same feeling I had about this author when I read her debut, STILL MISSING.

Nevertheless, I'd like to thank NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-book manuscript to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment