NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Love Lies Beneath by Ellen Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars - "...some cracks can't be mortared."

Can a 40 something rich widow who is also twice divorced find true love after a lifetime of forgettable marriages, casual flirtations, risky sexual liaisons, and manipulative relationships? Tara is determined to find out when she meets the handsome orthopedic surgeon, Cavin Lattimore, after a ski accident leaves her with a blown-out knee requiring extensive rehab. She falls for him but there are complications and secrets -- can anyone be trusted to be truthful and can this great new life Tara wants finally happen for her?

The characters in this novel are meant to be quite complex but I didn't find Tara to be a remotely likeable person and the reader isn't privy to any real insight. Her interactions with her sister and family were superficial and when Tara meets Cavin's son, Eli, the conversations were quite odd. Tara is definitely not someone that I would like to know, and definitely not one to cross. Can Tara's perceptions and reactions to situations be believed? As the tension mounts though the pages leaving the reader wondering and waiting for the big reveal, everything is analyzed. I tried to figure out where this was all going.

I have read every one of the books written by Ellen Hopkins, and the teens in my school certainly love the YA titles that I always have on the shelves. I used to think it was just me, that free verse left out too much of the story and I never felt like I got the whole scoop when I read her -- but now, with this one in prose, I feel the exact same way. That ending was so unsatisfying and incomplete that it almost made me gasp at getting to the grand finale only to...LETDOWN.

I really was invested in this novel, but ultimately was left disappointed by its dangling conclusion which seemed rushed given the long, slow buildup. I'm sure fans won't want to miss it, but I sure would have preferred a solid finish. Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for an e-book ARC to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment